Thursday, June 12, 2014

Life lessons

I'm determined to make this the last not so great happenings post, but I have to get this off of my mind. Sorry if it's tl;dr.
So things for the most part at work have died down. There aren't many off base and inappropriate comments; it's kind of the opposite. As news spreads across the company of my pregnancy, I've been flooded with calls, emails, and such wishing me well and offering congrats. Except... I have someone in my office, W, who isn't too pleased with me. I genuinely do not know why.
Before my pregnancy, we were very friendly. I went to her wedding last year and pretty much spoke to her everyday. Shortly after she got married, she told me that she wanted to TTC. That's great! Especially since I was also at the time. I had someone who I could connect with in person, vent to after another failed cycle, etc. Sure, at the point when she started trying, I was already at the year mark, but it was still exciting for me. I shared with her my issues with IF, meeting with a RE, multiple surgeries, and exploring IVF, all while explaining charting, temping, and good timing to help her make the most of each cycle. So when I became pregnant after my surgery, I was thrilled to tell her. And I thought she'd be thrilled for me. That's about where it ends.
Around my birthday in April, I was just shy of 10 weeks. She and another friend, K, came to me and wanted to take me out for brunch for my birthday. I told them that wasn't a good idea. At that time, I was exhausted and very sick. I would sleep through weekends just to be able to work during the week and had my morning sickness and aversions were so severe (thanks hyperemesis!), that I stopped eating out. I couldn't be around food, even at work, so I would sit in our IT closet during the lunch hour. After explaining that to them, K said we could postpone until I'm better. W said, well you pick the restaurant and walked away. So on my birthday, I got a text from K, asking if we were still going out. I wrote her back, apologizing, but said no. I was in awful shape from the day before and barely had the energy to get out of bed. K wrote back, said no problem, we can postpone and wished me a happy birthday. I never heard from W until Monday. I got to work and got a message from her, "Umm, happy birthday yesterday?" The initial tone of the message threw me off, but I didn't feel like guessing and just wrote back "Thanks" and went about my day. And we hadn't spoken since. Maybe that was my mistake because now I have a whole different monster to deal with.
It turns out that W has been talking shit about me for a majority of my pregnancy. I heard things but just confirmed it recently. To sum it up, I was mean to her via text, I'm a bitch and an asshole, I'm not really sick because I look just fine at work, I'm going to be a terrible Mother and I only got pregnant for attention. Wow. Just. Wow. So W is upset because of something I said and not because of my birthday? Now, of course I'm trying to rationalize all this. I think I spent a solid 3 days looking at my own messenger logs to see what I said to deserve the horrible things said about me since every person who has told me about the gossip doesn't seem to know what I said to her. I feel like I'm missing something. Of course I can't find anything mean, insensitive, or heartbreaking as she describes it, but there sure is a lot of things being said about me by her that fits that description. W has also decided to throw K in the middle of all of this. She tried to talk shit about me to K and K refuses to join in. So now, she's talking shit about K for "being on my side". Unfortunately for me, K doesn't know what I could've said to W to set her off like this. And I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm not even sure what to say because a part of me feels like confronting her would be a waste of time. But the other part of me really wants to lay into her. For now, I'm quiet. I figured if I don't say anything, W would eventually focus elsewhere. Nope. I was wrong about that too. And I get the feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better.
So what have I learned from this? A lot quite frankly. I learned that not everyone is upfront as me. That's probably a " Duh" for some people, but not for me. I am one of those people that will say to your face whatever I have said outside of your presence. Next, not everyone has your best interest at heart and not everyone is your friend. That is a tough one for me. My Mother has been saying that to me for years and I think I finally understand that just because people are nice to you doesn't mean it's genuine.
But, with all of that said, I'm surprisingly ok. I mean, it still hurts to hear these things being said, but I think my self esteem has improved because I don't feel down on myself over anything that has been said. I know that I'm going to be a fantastic mother. I know I'm not a bitch (at least not by default), and I know why I'm pregnant. It's not for anyone else but DeeJ and I and it's been a part of our plan for years. And that's all that matters to me.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Teej, I'm sorry you have to deal with this situation. She sounds jealous and like the only bitch in this scenario. I am sending internet TPs her way!!! I mean, you clearly went through everything you did to conceive sheerly for attention, duh! ;) Seriously, you are such a sweet person and I just know you're going to be a great mom. I hope the bitch shuts it, and soon, and I really hope you can recognize that this says a lot more about HER than it does you. Sending lots of love to you and baby Teej, and TPs to the work bitch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuck her. I'm so sorry that she is treating you this way, but I'm glad that she's showing her true colors because you don't deserve or need to have someone like that in your life. I'm glad that you're feeling a little better lately. You are a wonderful person and I know that's going to make you a wonderful mother too. And as a bonus you also look amazing right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pssshhhh, she's a total hoar. If I were you I would just straight up confront her, that way it gets everything out in the open and you don't have to waste anymore of your precious energy wondering what you said or why she is acting the way she is. Sounds like everything is just hearsay at this point, so make her own up to it. So sorry you are dealing with this, but ummmmm your pregnancy was a total shock to everyone including you. I think the idea of "getting pregnant for ________" is ludicrous. As if you could just make it happen at will! Like Ana said, fuck her. I love you TeeJ!!! You're beautiful and you're going to be a great mom!

    ReplyDelete