Friday, December 20, 2013

We have a plan!

On Monday, I met with Dr. K for my hysterosonogram. Let's just say it was an interesting encounter. He walked into the room and besides greeting me, the first words were, "Have you spoken to our Financial Advisors?" I said, "No. Why?" He goes on to tell me that after reviewing all of my medical history, he thinks my next step should be IVF. WUT?!?! Well, way to jump the gun Doc. Nevertheless, we proceed with my procedure. As it turns out, my uterus is in pretty great shape and condition. There is a chance that I have a polyp, he can't tell with 100% certainty. Since the procedure was quick and easy, he figured he might as well check out my ovaries. That's where it got even more interesting. Basically, not only are the endometriomas now attached to my ovaries, but they have caused my ovaries to stick together, so they look like they're kissing and are hanging out behind my uterus. "Well, that can't be good", is what I said while looking at the ultrasound screen. He agreed. He looked so frustrated. He kept saying, "Your blood work is remarkable, how are these here? I hate Endometriosis." I completely agreed. And we kind of just looked at each other, kind of feeling defeated.
I got sad and spent the next 3 days randomly crying and apologizing to DeeJ over and over because I feel so... Inadequate and like a failure. And I spent the past 3 days dreading my follow up appointment today because I had a gut feeling he was going to tell us we're SOL. But when DeeJ and I sat down in his office this morning, Dr. K was smiling and cheerful. And happy. This time, after greeting us, his first words were, "I've been thinking about you all week." I suddenly felt calm and relieved.
He goes on to go over all of my numbers from my CD3 and CD21 testing and showed DeeJ the sonogram from Monday. He expressed concern that doing another laparoscopy may cause more harm than good so instead, he wants to do a hysteroscopy, drain the endometriomas and inject them with antibiotics. From there, I can either go on Lupron for a month and reassess or do a medicated IUI cycle. I don't think I stopped smiling. He laid out all of the options and we even discussed IVF, but I felt so comfortable with him, especially when he said that we have to protect our eggs. I'm pretty sure I almost cried... Happy tears of course, which hasn't happened in a long time. While this cycle is my last natural cycle of TTC, I left there excited again, a feeling I haven't had in awhile.
Now for the fun stuff. My insurance coverage is changing on January 1st and I have to find out of it will only cover IUI or IVF as well. I heard from HR that it will, but I have to confirm for my own sanity. DeeJ and I also have to find out the process for ordering prescription Letrozole, speak to Dr. K's office Financial Advisor and confirm the schedule for my hysteroscopy. Somewhere in there, we have to still shoot for good timing. It's going to be a busy holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment