Friday, January 17, 2014

IVF anyone?

Yesterday I had my second surgery. I don't remember much (thanks anesthesia and morphine!), but I do remember getting there at 10 and not being discharged until close to 7. They put so much morphine in my system for the pain that I'm pretty sure I would've ended up staying overnight. I really wanted to go home. I really wanted real food, not crackers and ginger ale. So as soon as I woke up, DeeJ got the nurses, they helped me get dressed and I was on my way. I got some food from the Cheesecake Factory to go and I was a happy girl.
As for the surgery, DeeJ spoke to Dr. K. so I don't have all of the details, but I got the gist of how things went. First, apparently there was an issue while I was going under anesthesia. My throat seized up and started closing up with the use of a shortened tube so they had to use a full breathing tube. Yikes! I couldn't help but wonder if that happened with my first surgery. After I woke up from the first surgery, I couldn't breathe or swallow for a few days. I had daily panic attacks because every time I try to take a pill, it felt like it was stuck. The anesthesiologist for my first surgery had horrible bedside manner any way so it wouldn't surprise me if he tried that shorter tube a few times and wasn't happy about using additional equipment. Yeah, I know I'm speculating, but I really didn't like him. Going back to yesterday's surgery, Dr. K. told DeeJ that my uterus is in great shape with no fibroids or polyps. Most of my time under was spend addressing my Endo, which was pretty bad. He noted that I have lots of Endo and scar tissue on other parts of my body besides my ovaries. Great. Just great. DeeJ didn't ask where so I don't know, but will ask during my follow-up in a couple of days. He also confirmed that the Endo is forcing my ovaries to stick together behind my uterus. We agreed before hand that if removing the Endo would compromise my ovaries and eggs, to leave them be and just aspirate the cysts, which is what he did. Because of where my ovaries are located, Dr.K. believes that my eggs aren't being captured by the fimbriae and sent down my tubes, making IUI useless. So his official recommendation is IVF. I have so many questions and maybe it's the after effects of the morphine talking, I do wonder if I should have consented to him separating my ovaries. I wonder if it would've given me a chance to try naturally or with IUI. I don't regret my decision because the way I see it, I'd rather have plenty of eggs, which with my AMH being a 4.4 suggests that I do, than reduce my numbers and further limit my chances, but I'll always wonder what if.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you recover quickly from your surgery, good luck with the follow up, I hope you get all of the answers you want. It's so hard not to second guess your decisions, I hope the follow up can ease your mind that you made the right choices for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TeeJ - I'll be praying for a quick recovery. I hope everything goes well with your follow up, and that y'all are comfortable with the next steps.

    I am here if you ever need to talk.. I'll try to keep an eye on blogger, but I kind of suck at it. I'll see messages on the bump faster for sure.

    Much love and hugs to you girl. You are strong, and you can do this <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tifany you will always second guess your decisions and feel like there were questions you should have asked. You did the best you could and everything else you can ask at the follow up. I hope all goes well at your follow up and that you had a relaxing weekend. Big hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete