Sunday, January 19, 2014

TeeJ, back away from the power tools... Slowly.

DeeJ and I have owned this house for almost 4 years and I'm just coming to terms with the fact that I'm not as good at DIY as I thought I was. Painting? Sure! Hanging shelves, and some electrical work? Why not! But don't ever ask me to hang drywall. Ever! I can't for the life of me get it right. Sigh...

We renovated our kitchen a couple of years ago, but we really want a separate pantry. It was my bright idea to expand the wall about 2 feet so that we can install a pantry cabinet. So, DeeJ, our resident handyman, put up the framing and I would be responsible for putting up the drywall and blending it in with the existing wall. Of course DeeJ's framing is perfect. After 2 attempts, I thought I finally got the drywall right. I even let it sit for a week to see it in different lighting to make sure it looked right. But after painting it yesterday, I can see all of the bumps and unevenness of the compound/plaster mix. UGH! DeeJ thinks it doesn't look that bad, but I disagree.

Here's DeeJ taking down the old framing that I messed up the first time:


This is after putting up drywall for the second time:


Finished product? The line down the middle is driving me crazy!


I'm not sure if I'm going to sand it down and try again, just leave it alone, or put up a pretty piece of art, but for now, very annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment