They love me! They really love me!

I've been in IT for 10 years, but at this job for 2 and a half years doing technical support and project management. I've also done my share of daycare management... Of my boss. Anyhoo, our CIO sent out a survey to all of the employees for feedback on how they view the IT department. My first impression was annoyance; I always feel like IT people get a bad rap. As far as a lot of people are concerned, typical IT people are anti-social, "know it alls", and cold. And to some extent, I agree, but ultimately, I think IT people are misunderstood. There are plenty of IT people that are pleasant, personable, and don't make a user feel like they're stupid for asking a question (even though I have heard more than my share of stupid questions, especially at this job). I will admit that I am socially awkward and uber nerdy if you hang out with me long enough, but I'm not the typical IT person. And according to the feedback from the survey, other people agree!
Now, when I complete surveys, I'm one of those people that don't complete the comment section; I just complete the sections that are filled out with radio buttons or check marks. Well, I have a whole new appreciation for it because the people that filled out the survey were a God send. There was so much positive feedback specifically about me that I almost cried. I really had no idea that people at my job appreciated how much I support them. The feedback really did lift my spirits and it couldn't have come at a better time.
No comments:
Post a Comment